Thursday, March 6, 2008

Newfound Convictions

About a year ago I began to ask God to show me more about what it means to be a Godly wife and mom. He opened my eyes to many Truths in scripture that I had never really let sink in. Most of my newfound convictions are found in Genesis 1-3.

I had read Genesis 1-3 so many times that I was not looking at it with fresh eyes. But when I did, I was blown away by what I found.

The first thing I noticed was that Adam was put to work in the garden before Eve was created. I believe it was, and still is, Adams responsibility to "work it and keep it"(Gen.2:15).

It is later that God created Eve. What I see here is that it was not God’s intention for Eve to work the garden…unless that is the help that Adam was needing from Eve. After the fall, Eve is “cursed” (though I have found immense blessing in it) with childbearing and submission to Adam. It is Adam’s curse to earn bread by the sweat of his face (Gen. 3:16-19).

Bluntly, Eve was not created to pursue a career. Her identity was not to be in her work. It was to be in her childbearing and in her desire for her husband.

Eve was created to make sure Adam was not alone and to help him. Her purpose was to do what Adam deemed as helpful and to not do what made him feel alone.

So first, I began to ask myself what it meant for Ryan to not be alone. It means, to me, being his cheerleader in all things. Not abandoning him, even if everyone else does. Not disagreeing with him, but supporting him. It means not forsaking time with him for meaningless activities. It means being always available. And on and on…

Next, as far as what is means to be a helper to him…that could go on forever! (I recommend the book, “Created to Be His Help Meet” to any woman who is or wants to be a wife). But I would summarize it by saying that being Ryan’s helper means living for his needs, not mine. I am his helper, he is not mine. I was placed in his life by God to, hopefully, enhance his life. My presence in his life should further him to become the man God has called him to be. I should take all measures to not lay any more burdens on him than he already has. I should manage the house, under his authority, in such a way that frees him up to be a more effective minister and father. I should be so wise and prudent with our money that he is blessed financially by the ways I save and the measures I take to deny myself of unnecessary luxuries. I strive to make our home his kingdom where no matter what happens in his day, he knows he will come home to laughter, peace, and adoration.

Needless-to-say, I believe that over the years women have lost sight of the amazing challenge of being a help mate to our spouses. Women today are still listening to the serpent in the garden say, “God is lying. Walk this road and your eyes will be opened…”
We all hear the serpents voice…it’s in the TV shows we allow ourselves to watch, the music we listen to, the conversations we have with our girlfriends, the places we let our minds daydream to…

And just remember, Eve’s first mistake was making the decision to speak to the serpent. In doing this, she began a conversation with him and she opened herself to his influence. It was then that she was deceived, that developed into ungodly desire, and that ultimately led to discontentment and despair.

It’s just like what we see happen in James 1:13-15,
“When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”

And we all know the death that Eve experienced. We women are in danger of a kind of death that few people speak of, if we do not stop having these conversations with Satan by watching foolish shows, listening to ungodly music, carrying on with unchaste conversations and not taking our thoughts captive.

I have changed many things in my life. My goal daily is to live to honor God by making sure Ryan is not "alone" and to be his helper. And in turn, I have not lost myself, like the world told me I would. I have found myself. I am now hidden in Christ. I am being a servant, to my Heavenly Master by serving the earthly master He has placed over me.

And it is glorious!!!

No comments: